This introductory course in lighting provides a definitive overview of the lighting sector and is suitable for those looking to familiarise themselves with the science, standards, regulations and business of the lighting industry.
Whether you are involved in the lighting sector or simply have a general interest in it, this new course will provide you the knowledge and understanding of the sector to help in your role and prepare for further study.
This new course by the Lighting Industry Academy is designed to introduce newcomers to the basics of light and how we experience it. It introduces learners to the science behind the technology and builds on their own knowledge and experience of lighting.
Learners will be introduced to the key ideas, terminology and definitions of the lighting sector and provide useful information about the current state of the industry.
|Education Institution:||The Lighting Industry Academy|
|Delivery:||Teacher-led classroom learning|
|Intakes:||Once a month at specified dates|
VIDEO: Overview by course tutor Iain Macrae
WHO IT IS FOR
Newcomers across many industries and services who are now involved in lighting.
Those looking to gain the knowledge needed for further study of the lighting courses.
HOW IT IS DELIVERED
The course is delivered via presentations and course notes handouts in a classroom setting.
MODULES/ LEARNING OBJECTIVES
- > Description of the split of commercial vs domestic lighting
- > How products find their way to market and introduce the design elements
- > Light and lighting from vision to key terms
- > Lighting application segments in the market and why they differ
- > People and defining their lighting needs
- > Natural and artificial light in its many forms
- > How to control light from shaping it to dynamic control
- > Key lighting terms and what they mean
- > Luminaires and why they exist
- > Lighting design to installation
- > Key players in the industry
- > Routes to market
- > Contracts and who has the power
- > Pulling it together before specifying a luminaire
- > Legislation and standards in Europe and the wider world
One day: 9:30 am – 4:30 pm.
The learners are not assessed on this course.
Upon completion of the introductory course, learners may want to improve their knowledge of a specific topic of lighting by enrolling on to the courses in one of the following subject areas:
- Energy Efficient Lighting (understanding LEDs and their energy saving benefits)
- Standards and Legislation
- Lighting Software (DIALux and Relux)
- Emergency Lighting
Depending upon the learner's experience and knowledge, they may choose to do the courses from the Certificate, Advanced Certificate and all the way up to Higher National Certificate and Diploma (HNC and HND) in Lighting Design and Technology (in partnership with the University of South Wales).
For individual delegates:
|Member:||£75 + VAT|
|Non-Member:||£150 + VAT|
For a closed company course:
Closed company courses are a more effective way to train your staff together for a cost-effective and flexible solution for your business.
The course contents for a closed course can be tailored to relate directly to the specifics of an organisation’s requirements following a conversation with the trainer.
Please contact the Academy for more details and a personalised quote for this course.
UPCOMING DATES FOR THIS COURSE
|24th September 2019||The LIA, Telford|
For the full range of courses at the Academy and their upcoming dates, please check out the Latest Course Schedule.