The name Savoy was chosen by Richard D’Oyly Carte who financed the five year construction with the profits from his Gilbert and Sullivan operas. Opened in 1889 the hotel was designed by Thomas Collcutt and included many innovations including lifts.
Following the death of Bridget the last of the D’Oyly Carte family line, the hotel changed hands several times before being bought by the nephew of the Saudi Arabian King Abdullah, Al-Waleed bin Talal.
The hotel reopened in 2010, under the management of Fairmont Hotels, 3 years after closing for a refurbishment to a design by Pierre Yves Rochon and Reardon Smith Architects which included hundreds of Philip Payne products with special features to fit the environment.
The Classic Cylinder, 300CBH and 300CCV in a brass finish were installed throughout the hotel, providing a wall mounted alternative for over door and wall mounting requirements.